Saturday 20 September 2014

Bright Idea - Dealing with Late Assignments

I am excited to be teaming up with an amazing group of teacher bloggers, once again, to bring you the "Bright Ideas Link Up". This link up was created to bring you practical classroom ideas from a variety of teachers, from different grades and subject areas. I hope you find some great ideas that you can easily implement in your own classroom. Enjoy!


Do you have students who hand in work late?

Do you have a hard time always keeping track of who handed in what and when?

I don't know about you, but I will fully admit that I do not always get every assignment marked the same day that students hand it in. When this is the case, I may not necessarily remember that Jack and Jill handed in their assignments 2 days late, when they are just adding theirs to the top of the pile in the INBOX.

There is nothing worse than trying to get your class settled and working, while those few students scramble to hand in their assignments late. I don't have time to lose the attention of my whole class, while I make note of who is handing in their assignments past the due date.

How can I quickly and efficiently keep track of late assignments without taking time away from my scheduled classes?



The idea - Use a date stamp to keep track of when students hand in an assignment


I can't remember where I got the idea for this simple, time-saving tip, so I can't take the credit for it, but its too good not to share.

Anytime students have an assignment to hand in, quickly date stamp it before it goes into the INBOX.
Pick up a date stamp from any office supply store.
You know those old-school ones they use to use to sign books out from the library??

If you are trusting, you can make your students responsible for stamping their own assignments. Keep the stamp by the INBOX and hold your students accountable for date stamping their work.

OR

Have the stamp in hand as your students come into your class, quickly date stamp assignments as they hand them in to you.



So, next time you don't get to that pile of marking for a few days, you will be well aware of who handed in their assignments late and just how late they handed them in.

Now...how you deal with assessing those late assignments is a whole other can of worms, which I will let you decide on your own. :)


If you enjoyed this bright idea, please consider joining me on Facebook for more great ideas!

For even more bright ideas, please browse through the link-up below, and choose a topic/grade level that interests you. Thanks for visiting!





1 comment: